Thursday, March 22, 2012

100 Seasons Completed: LMU Eliminated in CIT Quarterfinals

Utah State 77, Loyola Marymount 69

My friend and old roommate was visiting last night so I wasn't able to watch this game and from what I've read about it that disqualifies me from writing about it. There was a tense moment when both benches cleared and the Lions coaches picked up two technicals.

Fouls are the only reason the Lions lost this game from what I can tell. The Aggies shot 35 of them to the Lions 14. I shouldn't be saying this without seeing it but I will anyways, these were WAC refs in a WAC gym. Though none of them have a history of being particularly harsh they were this game. LMU isn't a team that typically commits more fouls than their opponents but they nearly doubled The Aggies' total in this one. Had that not been the case this game would have been a closer as neither team shot well.

The Aggies shot 39.2% from the field and only 23% from three. LMU did barely a percent better at 40.9% from the field but was a much better from 3 at 36%.

Sophomore Anthony Ireland had 23 points in the loss. Drew Viney had a 3-11 shooting night in his last game as a Lion, he ended with 9 points and 4 rebounds.

I'll have a recap of the Lions historic 100th season in a few days, along with ones for Saint Mary's, Gonzaga, BYU and San Francisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment