Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The West Coast Goes Midwest

If you've read the banner at the top of the page you'll know that I am a former Spokanite (and Portlander, though it doesn't say that) who currently lives in Chicago. I've been here since last September and that has prevented me from seeing any West Coast Conference action in person. The Zags visited Illinois last December, but I was unemployed at the time. Fortunately for me the upcoming season brings WCC teams my way once again. I'm writing this mostly so that I am constantly reminded of these games, that way I make going to them a reality. Also, just in case there are any midwest WCC fans who read this blog.

The game I want to see most also happens to be the one closest to Chicago. January 19th Gonzaga will play Butler. Indianapolis is just over three hours away by car. However, if Butler is anything like Gonzaga, getting a ticket could be impossible, especially considering this is a match-up of arguably the two biggest mid-majors in the country.

On December 22nd two WCC squads will be playing in my current neck of the woods. Saint Mary's at Northern Iowa and Loyola Marymount at Saint Louis. Ideally I would see both but that is impossible considering they are on the same day. If I had to decide now I would rather go to Cedar Falls to watch the Gaels and Panthers. Saint Mary's will certainly be better than Loyola Marymount next season. Even though I have become quite fond of the Lions over the past year due to their surprise success and great online radio station (a lifeline for a mid-major fan half way across the country from the game).

Santa Clara will play Saint Louis on November 14th. That works out nice since, assuming I am able to go to all of these, I would be missing the other WCC vs. Billikens game to see the Gales and Panthers.

In a game that will surely go to the non-WCC team but will showcase the best talent of any of these games, Portland will play at reigning national champion Kentucky on December 18th. I hope the Pilots at least try to enjoy those 40 minutes. On November 10th the Pilots will face off against the Ohio Bobcats, one of last years darlings of the big dance.

So, if you're reading this and you're a season ticket holder at Butler, Northern Iowa, or Saint Louis, or you just happen to know how a layman like myself could snag a ticket, help me out. I'll be all kinds of civil despite being a fan of your foes.

Also worth noting, these are just the non-conference games that have been announced. Full schedules haven't been finalized and more games will be lined up. So, if you're reading this and part of the staff at a WCC school, why not set up a game in the midwest? I'll be all kinds of thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment